- Training of Trainers scheduled under National Certification Programme for Rooftop Solar Photovoltaic Installer. 08 Mar - 19 Mar 2016.
- Notification for Summer Internship Program-2016
- GERMI is organizing Comprehensive Technical Workshop on Fundamentals of Seismic Data Interpretation – Basics to Advanced from 15th to 20th February, 2016 at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- E–Course: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units 26th Jan 2016.
- Query for Consultancy of Solar PV Power Plant
- Notification for M.Tech/MS Projects at GERMI
- GERMI Project Fellow Scheme »
- GERMI has initiated various schemes for scientists and research fellows »
Short Term (6 Months) E – Course: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units
The course is designed to satisfy the following objectives:
Briefly describe the Wastewater Treatment Units with specific reference to
- Purpose & Location
- Working Principle
- Different types & configurations with latest developments
- To provide Step – by - Step design of each unit based on the cited design criteria
- To develop Engineering drawing of the designed unit for easy understanding.
Course title: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units
No. of Modules = 3
Time duration for each module = 6 months
Module I: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units - Physical & Chemical
Module II: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units - Biological
Module III: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units - Advanced treatment
Module I: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units - Physical & Chemical
Module I contents:
Chapter 1: Overview of Wastewater Treatment
Chapter 2: Flow measurement
Chapter 3: Equalization & Neutralization
Chapter 4: Screens
Chapter 5: Grit chamber
Chapter 6: Oil & Grease removal: Gravity & DAF
Chapter 7: Rapid Mixer
Chapter 8: Coagulation
Chapter 9: Flocculation
Chapter 10: Sedimentation: Primary Settling Tank
Chapter 11: Sludge Dewatering
Chapter 12: Disinfection: Chlorine Contact Tank
Module II: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units - Biological Processes
Module II contents
Chapter 1: Overview of the Biological Wastewater Treatment
Chapter 2: Principles and Kinetics of Biological Processes
Chapter 3: Activated Sludge Process & Modifications
Chapter 4: Membrane Bioreactors
Chapter 5: Sequencing Batch Reactor
Chapter 6: Anaerobic Treatment & Digestion
Chapter 7: Up flow Anaerobic Sludge Blanket
Chapter 8: Moving Bed Biological Reactor
Chapter 9: Emerging Suspended-Growth Biological Processes
Chapter 10: Emerging Attached-Growth Biological Processes
Module III: Design of Wastewater Treatment Units - Advanced
Module III contents
Chapter 1: Overview of Advanced Wastewater Treatment
Chapter 2: Nutrient Removal : Nitrogen & Phosphorus
Chapter 3: Filtration : Design of Pressurized Sand Filter
Chapter 4: Adsorption : Design of Activated Carbon Column
Chapter 5: Membrane Technologies : Design of Reverse Osmosis System
Chapter 6: Ion Exchange
Chapter 7: Electro Oxidation
Chapter 8: High Rate Anaerobic Reactors
Chapter 9: Sludge Dewatering Systems : Design of Plate and Frame Type Filter Press
Chapter 10: Emerging Technologies
Each of the self-learning format versions of the course complies with high quality standards. The study material will be uploaded for easy access by the user.
- Environmental Students (Diploma/UG/PG)
- Fresh Engineers Diploma / B.E. /M.E. in Environmental Engineering / Management
- Non Environmental Students (Diploma / UG / PG) with Environmental Engineering as elective
- In service Environmental Professionals (Diploma / UG / PG)
- In service Non-Environmental Professionals (Diploma / B.E. / M.E. / B.Sc. / M.Sc. or equivalent with 1 year of work experience in Environmental Field)
- Candidates can opt for Module I & II and for both.
- Participants are expected to take part in all activities that form part of the course.
- Each module is divided into three parts for delivery of the reference material. Each part comprising of five weeks. Every week one chapter will be uploaded for four weeks followed by one assignment.
- The participants can work on individual projects and submit as a term paper or else can opt for Final Assignment which will cover the entire course material.
- Assignments will be based on MCQs and Short descriptive type answers.
- Participants will have to appear in the Final exam which will be conducted as online on demand during stipulated time period.
- During course, participants should compulsorily attend to interactive chat sessions.
- A certificate will be given to all successful participants
Read only Mode:
Participants will be able to only read the uploaded course materials.
The interactive learning provides an environment for participants to talk and discuss freely about any related topics on-line or off-line.
There are three ways of interaction
- Chat: Client Server Model that works with Internet Relay Chat Server Protocol, it allows servers to connect to each other effectively forming a network. Instructor and participants can interact and discuss on related topic for stipulated time given by the Instructor.
- Mailing Group: Participants can become member of mailing group by registering their name in the group. Once approved by the instructor, participants can post their questions to this group ID. This way Course Instructor or any other participant can reply to questions that will be read by all the members in that group including the instructor.
- Phone Call: Participants can call the contact person for any query on specified date and time.
Individuals from Academic Institutions, Research Institute & Government Agencies
Individual Student (Diploma/UG/PG)
Group Students (Diploma/UG/PG) (Minimum 5 students)
Rs. 3,000/- each
Individuals from Industries/Non-Academics, Non-Government Agencies & Public Sector Units
* Add 14% as Service Tax
Payments can be made through cheque/DD or direct transfer as per the following details: The DD/ Cheque should be drawn in favor of “Gujarat Energy Research and Management Institute” payable at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
Bank Account details for RTGS & NEFT:
Bank Name: Corporation Bank
Bank Address: Udyog Bhavan Branch, Gandhinagar - 382011
Bank Routing: IFSC: CORP0000583
Bank Account: 058300101006499
- Application Invitation : 13th December 2015
- Last date of application submission : 13th January 2016
- Evaluation & Admission : 20th January 2016
- Course Starts : 26st January 2016
- Course Completes : 25th July 2016
After completing the course, the participants will be:
- Able to Develop the treatment flow scheme depending on the characteristics
- Able to Design Treatment Units
- Able to develop engineering drawing as per the design
- Able to update knowledge about the latest developments
- Able to improve the skill
Prof. Dr. N. S. Varandani
Principal Research Scientist
Environment & Energy Efficiency Research Wing
Phone: (O) + 9179 – 23275369
Ms. Monika Panchani (M: +91 – 97129 64420)
Mr. Sanket Vora (M: +91 – 98240 82202)
Gujarat Energy Research and Management Institute
1st Floor, Energy Building,
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University Campus
Raisan Village, Gandhinagar – 382007, GUJARAT.